I approach this bridge with trepidation EVERY time we enter Manhattan. Did we go through EasyPass? Can we get across enough lanes to find our exit? Will the huge truck blocking our vision be out of the way soon enough to read our exit sign? Well, Sunday we biked across it. Same trepidation but also great awe!
A woman I met in my yoga class led the way for us. We met in the park at 97th and RSD. Our first stop was the Little Red Light House, Meg said it is a favorite stop for school children who have all read the book, published in 1942, herself included. She showed us how to wind up past 180th to get on the bike lane for the bridge. I use that term loosely, at some parts it is a 24" sidewalk with only a curb to the oncoming bridge traffic, other times it is a spiraling path maybe 48" wide with side rails- this for up and down bikers and walkers. Friends, this is not a level path, imagine the distance from the water level to the bridge. Most of the oncoming bikers had been to Nyack and back for their morning race training that started at 6am, families pushing strollers, one with a grocery cart, 2 kids with training wheels and one biker with his dry cleaning in his hand. But as you can see, it was very exhilarating to be in the middle looking up and down the Hudson. Meg went back to Manhattan and we proceeded to the NJ greenway. We stopped for a lunch then realized Carl had a flat tire. I had all of the tools and a replacement tube but not a pump. Iphone to the rescue, there is a bike shop a mile away. I went off to buy the pump and spare tubes while Carl worked on his bike. By then we thought it best to head home. I felt like a more experienced rider for the way back, even appreciating the bike lane signs as we worked out way south in Manhattan from the bridge past Columbia and the medical complexes. We found our way the Greenway at about 134th Street but also discovered that Carl had a second flat tire. We had extra tubes and experience of the first change so were on our way in no time. We went right to the bike shop on 96 and Broadway in hopes they will figure out the problem with the rim.
It was only a 12 mile trip but the brain power necessary to navigate and dodge what Manhattan has to offer is more exhausting than any 40 mile bike ride I have ever been on. After a shower and short nap, we went to Nelly's for a delightful evening; good food, good drink and topped off with a dessert wine from Sebastian that needed to be shared. A good way to start the week, I must say.
No comments:
Post a Comment