Thursday, March 1, 2012

Motorcade and Hope

This my dear friends is the closest I have been to a presidential motorcade. After a short visit to MMA and a walk through the park I noticed an extraordinary amount of Police and road blocks on CPW. There were lots of people grumbling and cars honking, a perfect time to talk to people on the streets. An Officer told me President Obama is in town and meeting at a private residence. Two streets in both directions were secured. I would only be able to see the lights. NYC is lights, for sure. A helicopter was overhead surveying the area. I spoke with one women who knew right where he was because her friend lived in the building and they had been forewarned. Those who were not grumbling, were excited. It was most moving to talk to an African American woman with her teenage son. She kept telling him that this was important, very important for him to see the motorcade so he can remember what he can do with his own life. He can do what ever he wants to do. She then told me they were hard working people, her son made all A's and would go to a good college. We all agreed that he had a great mother. The enthusiasm was palpable. I felt the hope.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, I have been feeling so down about the state of education and that is the second story that I have heard of a parent supporting their child and their education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could tell they were both in it together, really beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete