Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Wine in the Garden

At some point in February I met a woman in the street while she was moving in to our building.  Carol had lived here previously.  She is now back in NYC having contacted her old circle of friends and found that her previous apartment was now available.  I liked her immediately.  We met a few more times in the elevator and she picked up on how much we were enjoying the city.  I liked that she appreciated our love of NYC life style.  We agreed that it would be fun to meet for a glass of wine some evening.  This evening was the perfect time to meet in our West Side Community Garden with wine and snacks.

How do people decide they would enjoy each other in this city of 10 million people?  She shared a book with us, "The Colossus of New York" by Colson Whitehead.  The introduction brought me to tears with its description of feeling like a New Yorker.  The awe of this city is still strong for me as we near the ending few weeks of our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment